Wednesday 23 April 2014

FAQs about eating psychology coaching


Some brief answers to three FAQs I hear:

1. What is an eating psychology coach?
Eating psychology effectively addresses weight concerns, binge eating, overeating, body image challenges, and various nutrition related health concerns. As an Eating Psychology Coach, my approach is positive and empowering. I don’t see your eating challenges merely as a sign that “something is wrong with you” – but as a place where we can more fully explore some of the personal dimensions in life that impact food, weight and health. Oftentimes, our eating challenges are connected to work, money, relationship, family, intimacy, life stress and so much more. My training in this area is through the Institute for the Psychology of Eating.

2. Is what I do counselling?
There are some elements of counselling techniques that I will use but I don't dwell on trying to fix your past. Yes it is important to identify if past or present emotional or psychological circumstances or experiences have played a role in your beliefs or behaviours that are influencing your weight or other health problems, but then the main focus is on actionable, doable strategies that will get you results.

3. If I say that weight loss and food issues are not about the food, does that mean food or diet won't be addressed?
When I say it is not about the diet or it is not about the food, what I believe is that the focus of most weight loss programs is on controlling dietary intake and creating 'rules' for you to live by. This can only be a temporary fix and creates a lot of stress and angst. Good wholesome nutrition is important and if your diet is unbalanced or I believe there is a connection between your current diet and your challenges then yes nutritional changes may be required. Equally important to sustainable success is looking at what else is holding your back from achieving your health goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment