Sunday 8 September 2013

Connecting the dots and finding my passion

What a beautiful spring day in Brisbane. Off to the Manly Farmers Markets and a coffee down at the waterfront. It was nice to relax, its been a busy week of finalising the Happy Healthy Groovy website design and content (it will be up and running this week), researching phone and internet plans, researching advertising options, trying to find a consultation room that I can lease one or two days a week, helping my daughter move and then to top it off my Ragdoll cat Milo had a paralysis tick yesterday and needed veterinary care. He is doing very well but has been shaved all over and looks hilarious. Poor boy.

Anyway this afternoon I got to reminiscing about my time living in Ubud Bali earlier this year where I was volunteer English teaching teenagers. I needed to get away and re-evaluate where I was going work wise and figured I should do something useful while taking time out. I spent a lot of time on my own, getting to connect back in with my dreams, my passion, my inner strength. I spent time meeting people from all over the world that were involved in raw foods, or yoga, or developing sustainable industries, and most importantly I spent time with local Balinese people and seeing behind the tourism glitz.

After five weeks I still had no clue what I wanted to do career wise and was starting to think that I just needed to get real and get on with my normal job which paid very well thank you...how ungrateful was I being wanting to live my passion when I was surrounded by people who had barely anything and were happy. Besides, what the hell was my passion??

It was while teaching food nouns one day when the lesson evolved from a boring lesson about nouns to a lively discussion about nutrition. What a great discussion, the class was really engaged, asking lots of questions, talking about their own concerns about how their traditional food is being replaced by processed food, talking about how they have heard too much sugar is bad but how can you not eat it when it is so yummy.

Well I lit up! Up until then the teaching was reasonably enjoyable, I loved the interaction with the kids but had realised that teaching English was not going to be my sea change. The class went for 45 minutes over time and I brought information on nutrition the next day for them.

It was later that night that dots started to connect. My lifelong involvement in yoga, my psychology training, my avid reading of all things nutrition and fitness based, my interest in organic skincare, my own digestive challenges etc etc.

I was talking to my Gorgeous Guy (he wanted a catchy name if I was going to be Groovy Goddess) on the phone from Ubud and said you know....everything just starts working out when you are feeling healthy, are eating well, are relaxed, feel comfortable in your own skin, feel connected with nature, feel connected with love....people just need to find their groove, because when you are in your groove their isn't anywhere else you need to be. I want to help people find their groove!

And that is how the seed for Happy Healthy Groovy started growing. So look out for my website and signup for the free e-book I have been writing and regular newsletters.

Groovy Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment